Colowyo Mine is one of two fuel suppliers to Tri-State's Craig Station. The mining operation is located about 25 miles north of Meeker, Colo. approximately 25 miles from the power plant.
The mine was originally developed in 1978. Tri-State purchased the mine from Rio Tinto Energy in 2011.
Operating as one of the state's largest surface coal production operations, Colowyo Mine's 222 employees produce approximately 2.3 million tons of low sulfur, subbituminous coal annually from a 29,000-acre permitted site. Personnel at the mine use both draglines and truck and shovel operations for removing the overburden and extracting the coal.
The coal is extracted, crushed and transported to an on-site rail head, where it is shipped by train to Craig Station's load-out facilities. About five trains, pulling 50 or more 120-ton railcars, make weekly deliveries to the power plant. Currently, all of Colowyo Mine's coal is shipped exclusively to Craig Station, providing the plant approximately 60 percent of its total fuel resources.
Colowyo Mine facts: Purchased by Tri-State in 2011 (in operation since 1978) Approximately 222 employees Equipment fleet includes 12 240-ton haul trucks and 9 bulldozers Transportation by rail (approx. 25 miles) to Craig Station Annual production: 2.3 million tons
The MineStar Technician is responsible for a diverse range of duties to maintain the MineStar and Rajant radio Systems at Colowyo. These Systems requires close coordination with Production, Maintenance, Information Technology, Engineering, Vendors, multiple Tri-State Business Units, and other technology entities. As part of normal work duties, this individual will be responsible to assist in installations and continued maintenance to the MineStar system, including the wireless radio infrastructure. This individual will also assist in the training of all Stakeholders in the usage of the System.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes safety via work products and by personal example.
- Develops effective communications and relationships with all Stakeholders.
- Under direction of the MineStar Coordinator, leads work of outside consulting, engineering, and technical support firms.
- Ability to scope work projects, engage consultants and subject matter experts as needed.
- Team oriented with a positive outlook, strong communication skills, and ability to effectively multi-task work.
- Effectively work with all Stakeholders in a professional manner.
- Complete field installation and maintain hardware, software and radio systems on all nominated fleet and prime mover equipment.
- Maintain a Preventative Maintenance (PM) Schedule for MineStar.
- Remains aware of the status and condition of MineStar and Rajant radio systems.
- Assists in mentoring and training of Stakeholders on all aspects of the MineStar and Rajant radio systems.
- Ability to troubleshoot systems and solve system problems.
- Understands and enthusiastically promotes process improvement and change initiatives.
- Be willing to work overtime, take work related phone calls while away from work, and come to the mine site on call-outs during off shifts sometimes with very little notice.
- Stays abreast of future technologies to maintain a high level of competence.
- Takes on other assignments as required.
- Adhere to company policies, programs and procedures as well as Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP), Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC), and Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO) standards and Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws and regulations.
- Safety: Maintain safety awareness and comply with all safety policies, practices, and procedures to assure a safe working environment. Properly wear and care for applicable safety gear and equipment. Identify and communicate unsafe conditions to supervisor, coworkers, and the Safety functional area and correct or assist in resolving safety concerns and issues. Must understand and comply with the Clearance Procedure as applicable.
- Culture: Demonstrate behavior consistent with Tri-State's culture embodied in the Cooperative principles and spirit and core values of technical competency, respect and dignity, accountability, integrity, trustworthiness, and servant leadership to empower or otherwise enable others to optimally perform their job responsibilities. Demonstrate and promote ethics and behaviors consistent with Tri-State's culture, Board policies, and business practices. Understand and fulfill the role and responsibility for all compliance programs within the company.
- Because Tri-State is an electric utility with continuous service obligations to its customers, regular, reliable, and predictable performance of the essential functions and responsibilities is an essential function of the job.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
SUCCESS FACTORS/JOB COMPETENCIES:
- Take an active approach to safety, understands, utilizes and enforces safe work practices and promotes safety and inspires other working with them.
- Self-motivated taking a strong leadership role in the work area and requires no supervision in core areas.
- Communicate effectively with others and provides information through clear concise verbal and written communication that enhances planning and prioritizing of tasks.
- Consistently displays positive behavior that supports the organization's goals and objectives. Seek ways to improve the operations performance.
- Highly flexible with the ability to adjust to the demands of the job, produce high quality work, and can be depended on to complete assigned tasks. Happy to take on additional responsibility with minimal supervision.
- Work effectively to promote team effectiveness and input from other team member. Able to contribute effectively as a team leader or team member.
- Actively involved in the training of others and is willing and capable of learning new skills
- Has a thorough knowledge of the mining operation and problem solving ability that enhances planning and prioritizing of daily activities.
REQUIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Training:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Advanced technical degree(s) desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
- Prior Knowledge of MineStar and/or Wireless Radio Network(s) preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- High initiative and good work ethic.
- Ability to multitask and deal with complex issues.
- Strong computer skills with a willingness to quickly learn and master new software and systems. Advanced computer skills a plus.
- Ability to read and interpret electrical diagrams.
- Ability to troubleshoot low voltage electrical and electronic systems.
- One (1) year experience working with GPS, wireless mesh networks, and two-way communication systems preferred
- Valid driver's license required.
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Surface Mine experience preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is primarily required to sit, stand, walk, stoop, and bend. Will require working in a standing, sitting, or laying position. Incumbent may be required to lift items weighing up to 40 poundsBe able to climb multiple sets of stairs both indoors and out. Will include working at heights up to 180 feet. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Mental demands: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is required to read, write, analyze and review data and prepare related reports, exercise judgment and work independently, assist with making decisions concerning MineStar options and alternatives, prepare presentations of MineStar information and work under pressure.
- Work Environment: While performing the duties of this position, the incumbent is exposed to moderate level of noise. Ability to work in both hot and cold climates. 70% of work will be done in the field either outside or in a shop environment. Will include working in snowy and muddy work area.
This job description is not all inclusive but rather serves as a general guideline of the current needs of the position and can be modified at the discretion of management to meet current business needs. Experience and education requirements are the primary basis for awarding this position, however substitutions that are essentially equivalent may be made as they relate to the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.